Tuesday 6 November 2012

Review: Assassin's Curse by Cassandra Rose Clarke


My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Source: Publisher for review via Netgalley

Synopsis from Goodreads:
Ananna of the Tanarau abandons ship when her parents try to marry her off to an allying pirate clan: she wants to captain her own boat, not serve as second-in-command to her handsome yet clueless fiance. But her escape has dire consequences when she learns the scorned clan has sent an assassin after her. 

And when the assassin, Naji, finally catches up with her, things get even worse. Ananna inadvertently triggers a nasty curse — with a life-altering result. Now Ananna and Naji are forced to become uneasy allies as they work together to break the curse and return their lives back to normal. Or at least as normal as the lives of a pirate and an assassin can be

Annana is coarse, brash, and feisty...  and it was huge fun spending time in her company! Brought up on board a ship as a pirate captain's daughter, and escaping a planned marriage with another pirate clan leader, Annana is definitely wilful and tough. But her troubles really start when she inadvertently saves the life of the hired assassin sent to kill her, and he is then cursed to protect her!

This book is magical and cute, and at different points strongly reminded me of elements of the films Aladdin, Pirates of the Carribbean, and Robinson Crusoe. There is a definite Arabian Nights vibe going on, and as Naji and Annana travel through the city markets, across the desert, and over an ocean to find a way to break the curse they grow to care for and even respect each other. But this is definitely not your usual girl meets boy YA story!

This is set to be a series, and from the first book it looks to be the start of an enchanting and heart-warming adventure. I love the flawed and lovable characters of independent Annana and enigmatic Naji, and the exotic and magical world of the story.
A mystical and charming book- I love it.

6 comments:

  1. I really want to read this asap, especially after all the positive reviews, the only thing that worries me is the cliffhanger several reviewers mentioned.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good! I'm liking everything I'm reading about it lately..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Ananna as a main character, her voice and everything. She made such an awesome heroine. And Naji totally stole my heart.

    Also, haven't seen/read Robinson Crusoe so I can't comment on that, but PoTC and Aladdin? DEFINITELY.

    ReplyDelete
  4. O.o Ananna and Naji sounds fascinating! Brilliant review and this was new to me, so excited to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in the middle of this right now, at first I was surprised at the language but it makes complete sense and now I'm used to it.

    I'm enjoying it so far although I feel it's way too short! And that there is a bit of insta-love going on in the respect that Ananna randomly keeps noticing Naji's hair or she blushes a lot around him which feels so out of place somehow. I would have liked it to be a lot more hard work for Ananna to fall for Naji and definitely not because of the way his hair falls.

    Although I'm only half way through this book lol.

    Miss J @ Miss Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I know what you mean about Ananna falling for Naji too quickly- hope you enjoy the rest of the book!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Elvendorf Valley and Make Believe kits by Irene Alexeeva