Thursday 24 January 2013

Review- Geek Girl by Holly Smale


My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Source: Publisher via Netgalley

Synopsis from Goodreads:
Harriet Manners knows a lot of things. She knows that a cat has 32 muscles in each ear, a "jiffy" lasts 1/100th of a second, and the average person laughs 15 times per day. What she isn't quite so sure about is why nobody at school seems to like her very much. So when she's spotted by a top model agent, Harriet grabs the chance to reinvent herself. Even if it means stealing her Best Friend's dream, incurring the wrath of her arch enemy Alexa, and repeatedly humiliating herself in front of the impossibly handsome supermodel Nick. Even if it means lying to the people she loves. 

As Harriet veers from one couture disaster to the next with the help of her overly enthusiastic father and her uber-geeky stalker, Toby, she begins to realise that the world of fashion doesn't seem to like her any more than the real world did. 

And as her old life starts to fall apart, the question is: will Harriet be able to transform herself before she ruins everything?



Health Warning- do not attempt to read this book in a public place if you don't like looking ridiculous! I like to read in coffee shops and I think I pulled a muscle in my cheek trying to keep a straight face while reading Geek Girl. It's just not possible to try and look serious and studious while reading this book- which is guaranteed to at least put a goofy smirk on your face- if not make you snort out loud.

I really liked this story, which is a sweet and feel-good contemporary, reminiscent of Louise Rennison. Did I mention it's also hilarious! I would share a bunch of my favourite quotes but there are probably just too many.

Did you know that in the old days the word 'geek' was used to describe a carnival performer who bit the head off a live chicken or snake or bat as part of their stage act? Exactly. Only a geek would know a thing like that.


Harriet is a self-confessed geek, and has never gotten the hang of fitting in, saying the cool thing or keeping up to date with fashion trends. And that's fine with her. Harriet is quirky and odd, and knows what she likes (which happens to be physics and maths) and she is insanely goofy, vulnerable and lovable. I loved her attitude and her individuality.

Geek Girl is a wonderfully fun and heart-warming story about what happens when the clumsy self- confessed geek girl is thrust into the weird world of modelling. It's a light, funny and quick read- I really enjoyed it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you liked it. I love books that make me laugh, but now when I'm in public. I looked like a loon on the bus once because I couldn't stop laughing so your warning is noted. I'll be sure not to read this one in public.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Elvendorf Valley and Make Believe kits by Irene Alexeeva