Tuesday 8 February 2011

'Crescendo' by Becca Fitzpatrick

Crescendo (Hush, Hush, #2)Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick


My rating: 3 of 5 stars


It says a lot about my expectations about this book that after I finish it I can honestly say this- it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be! Sure, I wanted to slap Nora a couple of times, but only a couple, and the plot isn't too contrived. I've been pondering how to write this review for a couple of days now, and in that time I can't honestly remember a lot of what happened in the story!


Okay, so Patch and Nora are in love but they argue a lot and have their differences, and Patch has his secrets and keeps mysteriously disappearing. Nora and Vee run around shopping and sunbathing and talking about boys, and in between all this there is the mystery of who killed Nora's father, the question of is the killer back in town, and the world is in danger from fallen angels and nephilim. I think that about sums it up.


One thing that bugs me about these types of books is the over-protectiveness of the love interest. Daniel from Lauren Kate's 'Torment' has the same problem that Patch has. I hate all this "It's too dangerous for you to be in there- but I'm going in there". I hate when Patch doesn't tell Nora about ANYTHING that is going on, to 'protect' her, and I was actually quite proud of her when she broke it off with Patch mainly because of this. I am so sick of reading about girls who are scared to lose their first relationship. Girls who think that they can't possibly live without or move on from this boy that they just met. And Nora was actually quite sensible and mature in my opinion, in deciding to break up with Patch when she learned that he would go to hell if they stayed together, and that despite being in love, they would be better off calling it off and moving on to other people.


I'm not sure that I can write a fair review of this one- seeing as I am not really the target teenage audience, and in my opinion the characters, plot, action, romance, ending, everything- was just ok.




View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. You did better than me then, I didn't even get past the third chapter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always determined to try and finish a book if I can- even if I'm not especially enjoying it. I honestly can't even remember now how this books ends though! It obviously didn't leave much of an impression!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Elvendorf Valley and Make Believe kits by Irene Alexeeva